Hey, writer! If you're seeing this message, it means you haven't joined the forum yet. It's no real biggie, you can keep wandering, but there are some forums you're not seeing, and that's a shame, y'know. If you wanna get in on this fun, it doesn't take much to register and join, and we'd be glad to welcome you!
Hello There, Guest! Register

NANO NaNoWriMo 2017 Wrap-Up
Phew! We all made it through NaNo! I just want to let everyone know, even if you didn't hit that 50k goal, so long as you put in ANY effort at all, you were successful. <3

Many of us got off to a slow start, I know I certainly did! I did not even write 550 words the first day and was feeling the stress of being behind right from the very beginning. That with the added stress of trying to finish two fics to post... I will be doing my best to not do that next year. lol

So, to wrap up NaNo for the year, let's talk about some things that you think worked really well for you, and things that may be didn't go so well. For me, the Motivationally Challenged Crawl was a BIG help, and especially working with others, knowing they were writing. <3 That was probably my biggest motivator, doing sprints and to know others were writing, too. =D

As for things that did not work for me... Well, again, trying to write and finish two fics, fully edited and formatted for posting in 2 weeks... Not uh, not my best idea. I came really close but! I know I need to not overburden myself like that for next year, especially since I am definitely planning to join both challenges again.

Moving forward, I want to have some daily goals, to keep the momentum going, and some monthly goals, like finishing a chapter or a fic every month. It's something I think is TOTALLY doable if I can write about 500 words a day. I really want to do 1k a day, but that extra 500 words has me really intimidated right now, since I struggled so many days over the last month to even get 500 words. Really, so long as I write even a sentence every day, I'll be pretty happy. =D I really want to keep this motivation going and be more consistent with my writing. Every NaNo and Camp NaNo, I get REALLY motivated to keep going, but I end up faltering a little bit, but that little bit seems to get less and less, so hopefully this year I can be a lot more consistent!!!

So! What were your biggest motivators this past NaNo, and your biggest detractors? And if you already have some goals in mind for next year, share them! I love to hear what you guys are up to, whether it be a word goal or a project you want to work on. <3
If you're happy and you know it, drop your pants!
[Image: AhGreg%20Alucard%20Sig_zpssuxkycdk.png]
You either hate me or you love me, but no one likes me. - LuciferxDamien
Luci you are both my biggest supporter and motivator but also woman you distract me!!!!
I really wanted to write a whole bunch of books this year and plow through some of my ideas that I've been neglecting but I don''t know if thats going to happen...
(12-03-2017, 07:29 PM)Destiny_Caspian Wrote: Luci you are both my biggest supporter and motivator but also woman you distract me!!!!
I really wanted to write a whole bunch of books this year and plow through some of my ideas that I've been neglecting but I don''t know if thats going to happen...

u kno u liek lookin' at my dong collection, u Salty Lemon.

But in all seriousness, don't get down on yourself before the year has a chance to get started. <3 Start on one project and see what happens. Finish that one? Move onto another one. Sometimes looking at a big pile of stuff to get finished gets in the way of progress. (That's partly what happened to me with finishing my SuperBat and Thorki fics. I would get paralyzed by everything I saw I needed to do and well... One doesn't write terribly well when paralyzed.) I know you can get a lot of stuff done, Cas. I've already seen you do it. <333
This year's nano was tough, I got more behind than I ever have before, but I'm really quite proud of myself for pulling myself up by the bootstraps and getting through. I had to do several 3K days in a row to finish, and I'm happy that I didn't leave myself with 10K on the last day, because I'm not sure I would have been able to do that, haha.

I only had one day where I wrote nothing, so I'm pretty happy with that too, even if some days were only 200-300 words, that saves me almost 1K over 3 days that I don't have to add to my catch-up words.

I'm probably going to take a break from writing goals in December and just write if I feel like it. Then try to pursue a more formal goal come January.

Great job everyone on making it though this month!!
(12-04-2017, 11:54 AM)alternatingcurrent Wrote: This year's nano was tough, I got more behind than I ever have before, but I'm really quite proud of myself for pulling myself up by the bootstraps and getting through.  I had to do several 3K days in a row to finish, and I'm happy that I didn't leave myself with 10K on the last day, because I'm not sure I would have been able to do that, haha.  

I only had one day where I wrote nothing, so I'm pretty happy with that too, even if some days were only 200-300 words, that saves me almost 1K over 3 days that I don't have to add to my catch-up words.  

I'm probably going to take a break from writing goals in December and just write if I feel like it.  Then try to pursue a more formal goal come January.  

Great job everyone on making it though this month!!

It was a VERY tough month!!! But we all made it and I am so super proud of what everyone was able to do. I was so amazed with you, AC, pushing through like you did on those days you were able to get 3k! It was really inspiring, because you were despairing so much BUT YOU PUSHED THROUGH AND MADE IT!!! <3 You really don't think that those days you only put in maybe 300 words add up, but just like you said, they really can!

I definitely think you are due for a break, but I do hope to see you geared up and ready to write come January! =D
I cheated this year to be honest, so that kind of helped me on its own. Really, I do better if I'm not forcing myself to focus on a specific story. That said... I found some tools during my off time that might help me a lot more in general with my writing: because to be honest, I didn't feel like I put enough planning in, even if I've always been a plantser. Somehow, this year... My NaNo project had literally no real 'direction'. It had plans, but I jumped around way more than I meant to, and half my words were from rewriting the same chapter from multiple points of view. Which is great on the one hand, but... I found it hard to follow honestly, after a while.

Things that helped:
-Bigger word crawls like the Harry Potter and Pokemon crawls. I might do them more often in general. And, in conjunction with those... The Motivational Challenge crawl can do wonders!
-Writing what comes to mind more than forcing things.
-Filler. Lots of filler.
-Insane numbers of placeholders

What hindered:
-Struggling to make concrete decisions
-Not enough planning, and switching programs partway through the planning process so that I could barely read my notes from the beginning stages.
-Not actually knowing how to use the program I started using for NaNo.
-Getting distracted by games (I need to learn to schedule my writing and my gaming or at least figure out my limits).
-Getting sick because of plumbing issues (learned "just get your adulting done before it gets worse" pretty easily this month xD)

General things I can use for the next year:
-Found some really great services and worksheets for outlining, character development, world building, etc.
-Gonna focus on doing one crawl at a time, and at my own pace. It's great doing it with friends, but not at scheduled times. Schedules just really aren't for me!
-Work on taking my meds at a standardized timing even if I don't go to bed right after some that I usually would. Just for simplicity/not going nuts.

Goals for Next Year:
-I'm gonna start working with my dad this year or so on his trilogy he wants me to help expand on so that we can take joint credit (since he's really bad with character development and filler stuff, and that's basically my main forte).
-Gonna reboot my blog
-Gonna try to get more known as an editor so I can get moneys
-Started working on doing hardcore planning (sorta) on my original winning project that I lost so I can rework it and really feel confident in it. Expect random excerpts from planning and general chapter stuffs! The project is a fantasy/adventure that involves refugees from scientific experimentation with genes and stuff. It's too complicated to describe in a short burst so... I'll show more later.

And that's the end of my reflective rambling. Thank you for all the fun so far this year, guys! Let's have even more fun year-round!
(12-09-2017, 05:11 PM)Juneberry Wrote: I cheated this year to be honest, so that kind of helped me on its own. Really, I do better if I'm not forcing myself to focus on a specific story. That said... I found some tools during my off time that might help me a lot more in general with my writing: because to be honest, I didn't feel like I put enough planning in, even if I've always been a plantser. Somehow, this year... My NaNo project had literally no real 'direction'. It had plans, but I jumped around way more than I meant to, and half my words were from rewriting the same chapter from multiple points of view. Which is great on the one hand, but... I found it hard to follow honestly, after a while.

[...]

A lot of people, myself especially, don't work on just one story during NaNo, so don't feel like that is cheating! I feel you on things getting hard and confusing by repeatedly jumping; sometimes it works well for motivation, but at other times, all that hopping makes it hard to know where you have been and where to go.

I am finding that less and less I can go into something with no plan. I end up running out of things far too quickly and well, lol nothing gets finished and I get frustrated. I will be taking the next few weeks, in fact, to start outlining many of my larger projects and get prepped up for Camp NaNo in April, plus a few other writing challenges I will try to participate in next year. =D

Oh no! It looks like you had some serious issues come up, but I'm glad you never gave up and kept going! You even found some stuff that will help for next time. I know you said that you don't like to do scheduled writing, but a lot of us will do sprints together, usually about 15 minutes at a time, all day long. It's something that motivates me a lot, to know other people are writing too! =D And remember, we're not just a NaNoWriMo group, we're a year-round writing group!

You've got some good goals already set up for you, and I hope to see more of your projects soon!!!