Hey, writer! If you're seeing this message, it means you haven't joined the forum yet. It's no real biggie, you can keep wandering, but there are some forums you're not seeing, and that's a shame, y'know. If you wanna get in on this fun, it doesn't take much to register and join, and we'd be glad to welcome you!
Hello There, Guest! Register

RECOMMEND SMASH Reading List: Tell us your favorite books!
This is a thread to put all our book recommendations in one place! All of us have favorite books we want everyone else to read and are looking for new things to read ourselves. Reply with your favorite books and, if you wish, a short summary/description of the book and why you should read it.

I'll start us off:

Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett): if you read anything on this list, it should be this one.
Elsewhere (Gabrielle Zevin): will make you cry.
Unwind (Neal Shusterman) : horror/sci-fi, very thought provoking.
You should totally read:

The Darkest Powers Series by Kelly Armstrong - It'll make you laugh and you'll get really invested in the characters.
The Ink Series by Funke - If you have watched the movie you need to read the books instead. They have amazing details and in my opinion it's a book that brings every writers dream to life. You can't tell me you wouldn't love to be able to read your favorite characters out of your favorite books.
Love this post!

Alright, TWO books you should most certainly read as per Lusa's rec (may post more later!):

1. The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta (the first being Finnikin of the Rock

-- Every book in this series ate my heart whole and spit it out in tiny bits and pieces. It is heart wrenching in the most perfect way. It's young adult high fantasy, written with dark and mature undertones. It has mystery, adventure, strong character dynamics, the perfect pinch of romance, and to top it all off, is written with lyrical, gorgeous prose.  

2. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir (and its sequels)

-- One of my favorite reads. Set against an Ancient Rome-inspired backdrop and combined with Middle Eastern mythology, it's a dark and harrowing tale of hope, survival, and ultimately -- what it means to be human. The characters are utterly compelling in this tale, especially the villains. The story moves fast with Sabaa's attention to precision and brevity in her writing, and it is gripping as it is captivating.  

SO MUCH LOVE FOR BOTH THESE SERIES. Please, read, read, read! And do tell me what you think of it.
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See): A thought-provoking historical fiction that shows you the life of women in China in the 19th century. Prepare to get goosebumps from description of foot binding methods.
Magic or Madness (Justine Larbalestier): It has an interesting look at the concept of magic in a modern society, but includes our more traditional thoughts of it too.
No Plot? No Problem! (Chris Baty): Honestly surprised it's not already no the lists. I love his wit in addition to his advice.
The Poetic Edda (my copy was translated by Lee M. Hollander): I'm a fanatic with Norse mythology to a degree, so why wouldn't I have the myths?
Blood Brothers (Nora Roberts, part of the Sign of Seven trilogy): I've never doubted Nora Roberts when it came to storytelling, but I'm not originally as enormous a fan as my dad... Until I read this book. I can't stop reading the second already. It's just enthralling, dark and light at the same time and just...Wow.